Friday, May 7, 2010

British Invasion: Blog #7: A Bittersweet Symphony


The title for this blog comes for 2 reasons: 1. The guy at the desk in front of mine today had the song playing quite loud and 2. It was my final full day in London. IN fact, it was my last day for all intents and purposes. Tomorrow, I'll get up and head to the airport and then home!

As you can tell from these blogs, it's been a really fun and extremely knowledgeable trip. Not that I think any of them will be reading this, but I really want to thank everyone who I met at the Ogilvy offices here. They made a pseudo-Southern boy feel quite nice and right at home.

I spent my last night going back to Forbidden Planet (I couldn't resist) as well as another comic shop, Comicana, which I found was right around the corner. The two stores could not be more dissimilar. Where FP was huge, clean and well kept, Comicana was small and dingy.

Afterwards, I walked on down to Piccadilly Circus and went through some of the Souvenir shops, not buying a damn thing, and ended up eating dinner at a nice little Chinese restaurant in London's Chinatown.

A stroll up Regents Street then took me past the Apple store and a Quicksilver shop, which I regret to say, was closed for the evening, but that was ok. It was all made better when I found Hamly's, a SEVEN STORY TOY STORE!!!

That place was incredible. It had a boy's floor with nothing but action figures on it. A Hobby floor with models and movie prop replicas (ton of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings items).

So that was it, I walked back up Oxford Street to Paddington and here I am. It's been a blast, but I'm ready to be home with Erin. Hopefully I'll be able to come back soon and she can come with me.

Blogging daily has actually been fun. I'd like to say that I'll keep it up, but I know me too well. I will say, that I'll try to do it more often from now on.

That's it from London. Next stop, the second star to the right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You wrote a wonderful story of a quite memorable trip. That 7 story toy store sounds like fun!
I'll be anxious to hear all about what you learned--not that I will understand much of what you say, but I want to hear it anyway. Glad you're coming home! Stay safe.