Sunday, May 2, 2010

British Invasion: Blog #2: From Van Gough to Harry Potter


So after getting close to being really irritated that this brand new laptop I brought with me wasn't working, it finally sensed my frustration and decided to start up. Whewww. With that said, welcome to the second British Invasion blog.

It was a rainy day filled with riding the tube and walking, walking, walking. Seriously, the 5 miles I walked yesterday seem like an easy little stroll compared to what I walked today. First I took the tube to Trafalgar Square and went into the National Gallery where I saw some great works of art from Van Gough, Monet and more. This was probably my favorite:

Boilley's "A Girl at a Window" I liked it because the grayscale paints made it really stand out against a see of full color paintings.

After spending a couple hours at the Nat. Gallery, I walked down to Parliament Square and Westminster Abbey, where I grabbed a quick bite at Tesco (a small market which is part of a larger Wal-Mart like chain)

After lunch I continued my walk down the South Bank of the River Thames and across to see the "Eye" a huge ferris wheel. I may try to go back tomorrow to actually ride it if the weather is a bit better. From there I walked on to the Tate Modern Art Musuem where I say one of my favorite all time paintings by Roy Lichtenstein:


And it was from here that I walked back across the Millenium Bridge (as seen being destroyed at the beginning of either Harry Potter 4 or 5) and to St. Paul's Cathedral and then back to the tube.

After a quick stop at Picadilly Circus, I headed back to the hotel to rest up before heading out to dinner. It's been a long day of sightseeing and adventure. One more day before I head into the office Tuesday morning (it's a bank holiday here tomorrow and the office is closed).

Until tomorrow

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whew, I'm just tired from reading what you did! Terrific!!! Was riding the Tube fun? How far is it to Paris? They were building some type of transportation system when we were there that was a speedy ride to Paris. I'm glad you are having so much fun. I, too like the girl in the window.